What's your name ?

So, what's the big deal about my name ? "Guruprasad Raghunathan" -- does it sound too gross ? Just because it's lengthy, does it bog you down in any way ? Well, it does, for several people in foreign countries.

Exactly a year ago, sometime during Christmas, I successfully failed in my road test (for the second time, in less than two months) in the US, in an effort to obtain my driver's license. You know what was running through my mind when I overlooked that dreadful "STOP" sign and was almost about to have a collision with an SUV (who had 'the right of way', as they call it) coming from the right ? -- "what the heck is wrong with my name?" I came back to my senses when the inspector, who was sitting next to me yelled, "Watch out!! You're gonna get me killed !!". I felt like shouting back, "Hey !! It happened because your gluttonous paunch was completely obscuring my vision! So, YOU better watch out!!". Unfortunately, I had to keep to myself.

Coming back, people in the US, seem to be having a problem with my name. The driving inspector, just before the driver's test, called out names of candidates who were giving their driver's exam. Each of them, acknowledged their presence by raising their hands.

"George" *hand raise*, "David" *hand raise*, "Bob" *hand raise* and so on.

Then came a long silence, followed by sounds like "uh, oh, huh, ah", and a silence again. He was nearly sweating and seemed to be having a nervous breakdown -- I quietly raised my hand and said, that must be my name, "Guruprasad Raghunathan". He heaved a sigh of relief and said, "well, err, I guess it is. Come on over junior (excuse me, am 26 years old !!), and sign your name in here". He was curious to know how people called me. I said, people who knew and liked me, called me Guru. To relieve him of his mental agony, I asked him to call me by the same name. He still seemed to be distressed, as my signature confused his already cluttered brain. He was so darn curious to know how a big name like mine, could be summarised into such a small signature, consisting of just four characters - GURU. He asked me, "Are you sure your signature is not incomplete?". I felt like saying, "Oh sorry, it actually is. Hang on, let me append my father, grandfather and my great-grandfather's names to it. Would my driver's licence card have enough room to accomodate that?"

I come across several such incidents on a daily basis, no matter where I go -- be it the local pharmacy or the barber shop. People seem to lose patience and some even get higly demoralised afer reading the first few letters of my name. G-U-R-U is the usual threshold. They get bowled out after that. Some take it as a challenge and try to crack my name, as if it were a puzzle, doh! I remember this technical support guy from AT&T, who said he was pretty comfortable reading "parts" of my name, like - GURU, SAD, RAG, THAN (from GURUPRASAD RAGHUNATHAN). He was so very amused, especially by "RAG", that he asked me if he could call me so, for convenience. I said, I would call him a "ROGUE" if he addressed me so. Luckily, most of the people are quite okay with GURU. Thanks to the word, for it's found a place in the english dictionary ! Having difficulties reading a foreign name is understandable. Everyone faces that. But why criticize it ? Should it necessarily have to be prefixed and suffixed with phrases like "gosh", "oops", "my god !" and "I give up" ?

For all those who are dyslexic about my name, I have one question to ask -- How on earth did you accept a name like Arnold Schwarzenegger ? Were you able to get it right the first time, without stuttering or stammering even a bit ? Come on man, I know people in India who lost their sleep over it! And you talk about lengthy names, damn !!

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice post...I think this would not be new to any Indian in the US. You know what? I sometimes had problems with short names like "Sean Emery" :)

- Sivaraman Jayaraman
G U R U said…
@Sivaraman: Welcome to Mundane Musings !

Very true and well said...I can give you a couple more..how 'bout Tim Schmdit and Bob Uhernik :-)

Thanks for stopping by..keep visiting !!
RvK said…
:-) :-) :-)
Very Unique and very nice..
G U R U said…
@rvk: Glad you liked it!

Thanks for checking in !
Anonymous said…
Dude.. After reading this I thought I must definitely say this.. So here it goes.. "Indha Payyan kulla evalo irundirku paaren !!" ;)

Nice one.. Cheers,
G U R U said…
@Raaj: There you are, finally ! Welcome !

"Indha dialogue yengeyo keytta maadiri irrukey :-D "

See you soon mate...
Jeevan said…
That was a funny incident at getting license there. It was the same for people in India to spell some usually names of foreign peoples. Always calling the full name is difficult in conversation, so making it short is a good way.

Wish you a Happier and Wonderful New Year Guru :) take care.
Arnold???
In TN, its Arnold Shivashankar; In Karnataka, its Arnold Shivajirao; Best is Kerala, my friends claim him to be a Mallu for sure by calling him Arnold Shivashankar NAIR!

If Arnold had a choice between his own name called all that and Guruprasad Raghunanthan, Am sure he would gladly accept being called RAGGING than all that ;-)

Now beat this - PISIPATI TITTU RAM PRAVEEN. Am not coming to US anytime bud!!! :D
Jo said…
Good one Guru. :-) I remember reading in an email Arnold Schwarzenegger as Arnold Sivasankaran!! :-D
G U R U said…
@Jeevan: Wasn't that funny :-D ? Getting a driver's license here is a herculean task, especially if you're a rookie...

Wishing you and your family a prosperous New Year !
G U R U said…
@Ram: Welcome to Mundane Musings !

I didn't know Arnold had so many 'Avtaars' in India...now, to beat PISIPATI TITTU RAM PRAVEEN, how's this -- Pilavullakandi Thekkeparambil Usha (and that was P.T.Usha *grin*) !

Thanks for visiting buddy, and do keep clicking !
G U R U said…
@Jo: Hey Jo, thanks! Yeah, I heard Arnold has several impressions in India...But, Arnold Sivasankaran beats them all !! haha, that was funny !
Mad said…
Imagine if "SriVenkatanarasimharajuvaripeta" was in out there. People will die of a stroke! Or miss their trains trying to say the station name to cab drivers!
G U R U said…
@Mad: I can imagine :-D
Shruti said…
lol.. so much trouble with a name? Its not so difficult, is it? Has a lot of vowels in betwwen... african names are the most difficult.. Mbwango.. phew!
And.. something to add to what ram said.. in Maharashtra, Arnold is Arnold Shivajinagar =))
G U R U said…
@Shruti: Arnold Shivajinagar! hahaha, that sounds cool :) By the way, did you know that African names even have exclamation marks :-D ???!!!!
Lori said…
Great post! I know a lot of Indians who lived in the US who would share your opinons!

But I have to say, after living in India for a couple of years, that Indians have just as much difficulty with seemingly simple American names (Ralph for example). I was happy to be able to adopt the South Indian tradition of using only my first name instead of making people struggle with my last name.

It all depends on what you've been exposed to.
G U R U said…
@Lori: Welcome to Mundane Musings !

Well said. It all really depends upon what you've been exposed to. But all that am trying to say is, a "Sir", "Mr." or a "How do I spell your name, please", would be lighter in vein and more desirable than a sigh, accompanied by a raised eyebrow :)

Thanks for sharing your opinion Lori. Have a wonderful journey in India !
Vinesh said…
americans are unbeatable when it comes to making a big deal of something they can't do!
Karthik said…
Guru
This is a very good post.I want to ask u one thing are u frustrated or making fun out of their behaviour.Some part shows your are Frustrated.
G U R U said…
@Vinesh: Am not too sure about other things, but generally speaking, when it comes to names, I think every foreigner(including us) tends to get apprehensive about the pronunciation. But the point is, why make it a big deal :)

@Karthik: Thanks! The answer to your question is, I was narrating my momentary frustrations in a funny manner! Nothing too serious :-D

Popular posts from this blog

I yum resign

Food for thought

Token of appreciation